Last week I stumbled upon a juicy MP3 from Copyblogger entitled SEO What You Need To Know in 2015 and Beyond, within which Sonia Simone compared Google to “a mean high school girl” because Google only cares about you if you’re unique and interesting: Otherwise you’re a nobody.
Why It’s Good To Be Popular
In the early days of the internet there were ways to “trick” the search engines to improve your page ranking, such as keyword stuffing.
Today, Google’s robots have gotten much more sophisticated. Not only will Google penalize your site for keyword stuffing, their update called Hummingbird, uses what’s called natural language recognition. Today the Google robots actually understand what you’re writing about!
The only way you’ll get noticed is if Google sees that others are interested in you.
What Does This Mean for SEO?
The experts at Copyblogger say…
- You need to write properly,
- you need to write what your audience cares about, and
- you need to write something that makes your audience look good, so they want to share your posts.
3 Ways to Improve Your Search Ranking Immediately…and In This Order
- Draw attention to yourself by writing something your audience wants to share.
- Use language your perfect customer uses so they’ll find your great blog post. TIP: This is where keyword research comes in to play.
- And the LASTLY optimize your fabulous post.
How Do You Optimize Your Post?
Although it’s last on the list of importance, it’s still important. Here’s how to optimize your post:
- Write a great eyeball catching headline.
- Modify your permalinks by adding keywords.
- Think like an advertising exec: make your post sound irresistible in 160 words or less, and put it in your meta description tag.