“I don’t want my site to be too cluttered,” is a common request I hear from clients when we first begin discussing plans for their new website.
“I like white space!” is another refrain.
But what if your current site often looks and feels more like a half done essay, rather than the Zen-like vision you were hoping to achieve? Try one or more of these tips to give your site a visual boost.
Just the right amount of spice
- Instead of lots of little images scattered on your home page, search for one drop dead gorgeous “Life Magazine” type photo — the one that makes you want to stop and explore for a while
- Limit your color palette to two colors
- Choose one bright color for contrast
- Use no more than 6 menu items in your navigation bar
- Add headings and subheads to breakup your text
- Include bullets and numbers to break up your text and improve readability
Just as good designers keep whittling away until it’s the perfect combination of not too much, not to little, you’ll need to edit your copy down to the bare essentials. Aim for:
Next up: Key ingredients to power up your website