If you’re like many of my clients, you’re spending the majority of time running your business, so writing blog posts is not a high priority.
By the time you finally do have time to create a blog post you may have forgotten how to do this. You may have even forgotten how to log into your WordPress website.
Don’t be embarrassed. Don’t even apologize. Just follow these steps and you’ll soon be patting yourself on the back, celebrating your latest accomplishment.
How To Log Into Your WordPress website
Go to your home page. After your site name type in /wp-login.php.
1. Instead of seeing your home page you should now see your WordPress login page
2. Enter your username
3. Enter your password
4. Click Log In
How To Add a Blog Post
After you log in, you will be taken to the back end of your WordPress site — also called the Dashboard.
5. Click Posts
6. Click Add New
7. Give your Post a title
8. Add your text
9. If you want to add a picture click Add Media
10. Categorize your blog page (see below)
11. Create and add Tags so search engines find you (aka SEO)
12. When finished click Draft
13. Click Preview to see what your page looks like on the web
14. Click Publish when you are ready to have the world see your latest blog page!
What Are Categories In WordPress?
The best analogy I’ve ever heard was from Bob Dunn who said WordPress Categories are like signs in a department store: if you want to buy a toaster, you would go to Kitchen Appliances. Kitchen Appliances is your Category.
A new WordPress website has one Category called Uncategorized. If you leave your blog posts as Uncategorized Google will not know what’s in your posts. Categories also make it easy for visitors find related posts.
Adding Categories Is Easy
- In the Categories area (see #10 above) click +Add New Category
- Enter your Category name: remember think department store
- Click the Add New Category button
- Click Update (or Save Draft: see #12 above) to save your changes
Back to the department store and toaster analogy — if Kitchen Appliances is your Category, toaster is your tag.
- Enter relevant words into the Tag area (see #11 above)
- Click the Add button
- Click Update (or Save Draft) to save your changes