For the past two years I’ve been a vendor at a live workshop where attendees are asked to sign up for my email newsletters.
Harriet Linder speaks at libraries and other venues in central New Jersey about living a healthy lifestyle. Last week, when Harriet asked me how to capture people’s names at her events, I told her I was getting ready to do the very same thing — make it easy for people to join my list after meeting them in person.
How To Add People to Your List Post Conference or Speaking Event
AWeber is my 3rd party email auto responser. It’s Harriet’s too. We can’t just add someone’s name to our list by ourselves, an call-it-a-day. AWeber requires our subscribers to confirm they really do want to receive email from us. It’s called a double opt-in, and many online marketers believe the best prospects are those who take the time to go through the double opt-in process.
Before your event
- Create a new list in your 3rd party autoresponder (i.e. AWeber) identifying the event from where you’re adding new subscribers
- Create a custom message in your 3rd party autoresponder program to remind subscribers they asked to be added to your email list.
- Create a welcome message that includes a link to your irresistible free offer which they can download once AWeber confirms their subscription.
At your conference, or after you speak to a group
- Ask people to drop their business cards into a fishbowl, or
- Provide a lined sheet of paper for them to write their name and email address
After your event
- Log into your 3rd party email autoresponder (i.e. AWeber)
- Add your names manually, or
- If you have more than 10 names, add their first name and email address to an Excel spread sheet
- Save the Excel spread sheet as a .csv document
- Import your list of subscribers (.csv document)
- Link your list of subscribers to the customized message you created before your event
- Your 3rd party autoresponder sends out your message so your interested prospects can join your list and download your irresistible free offer
Need Help Setting Up Your Autoresponder?
Nancy Fields is a graphic designer who not only builds WordPress websites, and designs Irresistible Free Offers for her clients, she also sets up their 3rd party autoresponders and email newsletter templates in AWeber, ConstantContact, MailChimp, and 1ShoppingCart. Her weekly e-zine features How To articles on WordPress, design, and online marketing.